Zika virus (ZKIV) is a part of the Flaviviridae virus (primarily spread through ticks and mosquitos) family and the Flavivirus genus. Through mosquito bites, it spreads in blood. What Zika transmits through the same mosquito is similar to those that spread Dengue and Chikungunya.
About 1 out of 5 people are infected with Zika. It is related to Dengue, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, and West Nile viruses. A mosquito generally spreads it during the daytime.
Zika was first discovered in April 1947 from a Rhesus Macaque monkey placed inside a cage in the Zika Forest, Uganda. Researchers discovered from its serum a transmissible agent that was first called Zika Virus when those monkeys had developed the fever.
It also can spread to humans through Physical contact. A pregnant woman affected by Zika can transmit it to her newborn during birth.
It is found in the blood during the first infection and passed from an affected person to another mosquito through mosquito bites. An infected mosquito can spread to people.
- The most common symptoms are a mild fever, rashes on the skin, joint pain, red eyes (conjunctivitis), muscle pain, and headache.
- Exposure to symptoms usually takes 2 to 7 days to appear after the infected mosquito bites.
- This virus usually remains in an infected person’s blood for a few days. But in some cases, it can be found longer (very rare).
- Wear long sleeve shirts/tops and long pants.
- Stay at places that have window and door screens to avoid mosquitoes.
- Sleep under the mosquito net.
- Avoid mosquito bites.
Read Also: Zikavac: Vaccine to treat Zika Virus.
Instructions to cure:
- Take proper rest.
- Avoid traveling or visiting public places such as markets and office areas whenever you suffer from fever.
- Drink lots of juice and water to prevent Dehydration.
- To relieve fever and pain, take medicines such as Paracetamol and Acetaminophen.
- Avoid having Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen and Naproxen.
- Blood tests could help you to diagnose.
- Drink Papaya Leaf Juice to cure yourself of Dengue fever.
- Use insect repellents.
- Visit your healthcare provider.